Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Jesus death from Quran



Jesus death from Quran:

Jesus speaking in the cradle:

Quran 19:33
وَالسَّلَامُ عَلَيَّ يَوْمَ وُلِدتُّ وَيَوْمَ أَمُوتُ وَيَوْمَ أُبْعَثُ حَيًّا
Transliteration
: Wassalamu AAalayya yawmawulidtu wayawma amootu wayawma obAAathu hayya

Translation
: "So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"!

This is the first reference from Jesus that he will die.

Quran 3:55
إِذْ قَالَ اللَّهُ يَا عِيسَىٰ إِنِّي مُتَوَفِّيكَ وَرَافِعُكَ إِلَيَّ وَمُطَهِّرُكَ مِنَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا وَجَاعِلُ الَّذِينَ اتَّبَعُوكَ فَوْقَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا إِلَىٰ يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ ۖ ثُمَّ إِلَيَّ مَرْجِعُكُمْ فَأَحْكُمُ بَيْنَكُمْ فِيمَا كُنتُمْ فِيهِ تَخْتَلِفُونَ
Transliteration
: Ith qala Allahu yaAAeesa innee mutawaffeeka warafiAAuka ilayya wamutahhirukamina allatheena kafaroo wajaAAilu allatheenaittabaAAooka fawqa allatheena kafaroo ila yawmialqiyamati thumma ilayya marjiAAukum faahkumubaynakum feema kuntum feehi takhtalifoon

There is mistranslation in the words mutawaffeeka and tawaffaitanee in verses 3:55 and 5:117 as: I will take thee and Thou didst take me up instead of I shall cause thee to die and Thou has caused me to die. Also we need to be clear about the word rafiu-ka meaning ‘shall exalt thee’ following the word mutawaffai in verse 3:55. This is because whenever the act of raf (elevating) of a human being is attributed to God, the meaning implied is ‘honouring’ or ‘exalting’. As an example the verb rafanahu (We exalted him) is also used with regard to Prophet Idris in verses (19:56, 57) . Hence the correct translation of the verses  3:55 and 5:117 are as follows:

Translation
(3:55) Lo! God said: O Jesus! Verily, I shall cause thee to die (mutawaffeeka), and shall exalt thee (rafiu-ka) unto Me and cleanse thee of (the presence of) those who are bent on denying the truth; [....]. (Muhammad Asad)

(5:117) Nothing did I tell them beyond what Thou didst bid me (to say): ‘Worship God, (who is) my Sustainer as well as your sustainer.’ And I bore witness to what they did as long as I dwelt in their midst; but since Thou has caused me to die (tawaffaita-ni) , Thou alone hast been their keeper: (Muhammad Asad)

 Interpretation of the word wafat':


The key word here is "wafat" . The most correct meaning of "wafat" is death, or take away soul.  If soul is taken away from a person, it is nothing but death.  The problem arises with regards to this verse, when Muslims refuse to interpret the meaning of "wafat" as death.  Irony is that all scholars who translated the Holy Quran do agree "wafat" means death.   Each and every scholar translated the word "wafat" as death in at least 20 different instances in their translations.  However, in this particular verse, they interpreted the meaning as ‘take away' and insinuate physical ascension. 


Here are some of the verses in the Holy Quran where Allah used the word "wafat".  The verses are 2:234, 2:240, 3:193, 4:15, 4:97, 6:61, 7:37, 7:126, 8:50, 10:46, 10:104, 12:101, 13:40, 16:28, 16:32, 16:70, 39:42, 40:67, 40:77, 47:27 etc.  In  each of the instances, all these scholars translated the word "wafat" as death, or a word very close to death but none of them used a word to mean take away in alive condition.


Let us continue:


Quran 5:117
Jesus speaking:
مَا قُلْتُ لَهُمْ إِلَّا مَا أَمَرْتَنِي بِهِ أَنِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ رَبِّي وَرَبَّكُمْ ۚ وَكُنتُ عَلَيْهِمْ شَهِيدًا مَّا دُمْتُ فِيهِمْ ۖ فَلَمَّا تَوَفَّيْتَنِي كُنتَ أَنتَ الرَّقِيبَ عَلَيْهِمْ ۚ وَأَنتَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَهِيدٌ
Transliteration
: Ma qultu lahum illa maamartanee bihi ani oAAbudoo Allaha rabbee warabbakumwakuntu AAalayhim shaheedan ma dumtu feehim falammatawaffaytanee kunta anta arraqeeba AAalayhim waanta AAalakulli shay-in shaheed

Translation
: I did not say to them aught save what Thou didst enjoin me with: That serve Allah, my Lord and your Lord, and I was a witness of them so long as I was among them, but when Thou didst cause me to die, Thou wert the watcher over them, and Thou art witness of all things.

Notice the similarity between “innee mutawaffeeka (I will cause thee to die)” in the previous text we read and this text “falamma tawaffaytanee (but when Thou didst cause me to die)”. ‘Mutawaffeka’ is going to happen in future. ‘Tawaffaytanee’ is past.  So ‘falammatawaffaytanee’ means ‘when Thou didst cause me to die’.

We have Jesus speaking of his death in the cradle saying:
 “So peace is on me the day that I will die,”

And we have God telling Jesus:
“I will cause thee to die and raise thee to Myself”

And in last verse we have Jesus saying:
“when Thou didst cause me to die”

We see clearly from Quran that Jesus died and rise up to life and took up to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment